Mission Statement of Department
The City Clerk-Treasurer advises and guides the Mayor and Common Council of the City of Port Jervis on the adoption of a financial plan to operate the City during its fiscal year, which is January 1st through December 31st. The adopted budget provides for the necessary services for a community of 8,860 in the areas of public safety, health, transportation, economic assistance, support services, culture, and recreation, and general administrative services.
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., excluding holidays
The Office of the City Clerk-Treasurer is responsible for or provides the following:
- Accounting – Maintains all accounting records and systems for the City.
- Accounts Payable – Codes and pays all bills and invoices for purchases made by the City.
- Auditing – Completes internal auditing in preparation for certification of financial statements by an outside certified public accounting firm and coordinates compliance with all external audit requirements.
- Budget – Directs and monitors the City budget.
- Cash Management – Controls and manages all cash, investments, and borrowings.
- City Code – Maintain local laws and amendments to the City Code and Charter.
- Computer Coordination – Troubleshoots and maintains computers, networking, and software as necessary.
- Elections – Coordinates of all public elections conducted in the City and submits to Orange County and New York State information for all elected and appointed officials.
- FOIL Request Form– Processes all Freedom of Information Law requests. FOIL Request Law
- City Residents Only have access to free household waste and debris dumping at the landfill, located on Canal Street extension, on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month from 8:00am – 11:00am. Residents must cart their waste to the DPW dump truck available for said waste. Absolutely NO construction debris or hazardous materials will be accepted.
Residents MUST show proof of residency in the form of the following:
- A recent utility bill showing the service address, or
- A rent receipt with the property address, or
- A lease agreement with the property address
- Non-expired driver’s license or non-driver’s photo ID
The address on the owner’s proofs of residency MUST be the same and MUST be for a residence within the City limits of Port Jervis. Property owners who have a Port Jervis mailing address for a residence outside the City limits are not entitled to purchase landfill permits.
- Permits are NOT valid for commercial or business operations.
- Permits are valid for a resident’s primary dwelling ONLY.
- Grants – Controls and manages all grants received by the City, including claims administration and audit.
- Human Resources – Maintains and processes all personnel records and implements human resource policies, including hiring and terminations.
- Insurance – Coordinates all insurance policies on behalf of the City and Fire Department, including claims administration.
- Licensing– Issues Bingo and Games of Chance licenses.
- Licensing– Issues all marriages licenses in the City.
- Licensing– Issues taxi, taxi driver, street vendor, and use permits and licenses.
- Licensing– Issues and maintains all records of New York State dog licenses for animals in the City and coordinates with the Animal Control Officer and the Local Humane Society.
- Overnight Parking Passes – Overnight parking is allowed in designated city lots with a pass from December 1 to March 31 when all vehicles must be off the City Streets from the hours of 1 am-6 am to facilitate plowing. Pass can be obtained starting November 1st of each year.
- Meeting Minutes—Supervises and records all minutes of public meetings and ensures open meeting laws are followed.
- Notary Services – Provides licensed notaries in New York State for processing legal documents for the City and its citizens.
- Parking Tickets 2020 – Administer the collection of all parking tickets fines in coordination with City Court and a third-party agency.
- Payroll – Conduct all payroll activities of the City.
- Purchasing – Issues all orders for materials, goods, and equipment in conjunction with New York State approved purchasing policies and bidding procedures.
- Records Retention – Controls retention and storage of all City records.
- Tax Sale – Conduct annual Tax Sale of property due to delinquency.
- Taxes – Administers and collects taxes for the City, County, and School tax delinquencies.
- Vital Records – Processes and maintains all birth, marriage, and death records that occur within the City limits.
- Water Billing – Produce billing for all water consumption, maintains accounts receivable system and collection of water rent accounts.
Number of Employees: 4
|Hours Of Operation:||Mon - Fri: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm; excluding holidays|
|Description:||The City Clerk-Treasurer advises and guides the Mayor and Common Council of the City of Port Jervis on the adoption of a financial plan to operate the City during its fiscal year, which is January 1st through December 31st.|
|Contact Person:||Robin Waizenegger|