Superintendent Search – Community Survey
November 8th – December 20th, 2017 – Port Jervis, NY – As Port Jervis City School District begins its search for the new Superintendent of Schools , they are seeking information from our community to find out the most important criteria and attributes we should be looking for in our successful candidate. Your response to this survey will provide us with very valuable information. Whether you’re a Community Member, Parent of a Student, a Student, a Teacher, an Employee, a Graduate or have a connection with our school district. Please respond to the linked survey by December 20, 2017. Superintendent Search Community Survey
2017 November 8 – The School District held several meetings with students, staff, and the community at large to discuss their search for a new superintendent of the district. This will be a search different from the past. This search involves all those that are involved in our schools.
The Role of the Superintendent
The American Association of School Administrators (2010) agrees that the Superintendent must demonstrate a keen understanding of teaching, learning, and what works for students. Emphasize the efficient use of resources, personnel, and data to break down resistance and drive systemic change; empower board and personnel to set goals, measure results, develop accountability, and support planning, evaluation, and resource allocation.
The Skills that Today’s Superintendent Must Demonstrate
- Vision and Values: Has high expectations for all stakeholders, including his/her own professional behavior. Programs are aligned to the mission, vision, philosophy of the district. Commitment to excellence.
- Core Knowledge Competencies: Expertise in various instructional, managerial, legal, financial and personnel domains.
- Instructional Leadership: The ability to plan, implement and evaluate the effectiveness of school or district’s instructional and assessment practices.
- Community and Relationships: The ability to involve stakeholders, school personnel and school board in realizing the district’s vision.
- Communication and Collaboration: The voice of the district. The ability to actively listen and provide feedback.
- Management: The ability to align district systems and operations (budgets, compliance)
Process for the Superintendent Search:
- Position posted the last week of October.
- Community Forums: faculty, staff, students and community.
- Community Survey – to gather additional input.
- Closing Date for Applications – December 20, 2017.
- Board begins screening candidates in January. Identify top candidates.
- Full Day visits by finalist end of January, early February.
- Appointment by the Board at a March Board Meeting.
- Start Date – on or before July 1, 2018
Besides the survey above… you can also copy, past, and send your comments to the follow 4 Discussion Questions to
- What are the greatest strengths of the Port Jervis City School District?
- What are the most important issues facing the Port Jervis City School District?
- What information would you like the Board to keep in mind when hiring the next Superintendent?
- List the key qualities you would like to seek in the new Superintendent of Schools.
Tri-Fold sent out for applicants consideration: 2017 Nov PJCSD Tri fold invite for superintendent